Effect of Apitherapy on Multiple Sclerosis (2005)
Case Report from Taiwan Kaohsiung Apitherapy Association
L.H. Huang*, S.W. Ip, M.D., Ph.D.**
Kaohsiung Apitherapy Association, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan
**Graduate School of Nutrition, China Medical College, Taichung City, Taiwan
multiple sclerosis, bee venom therapy
A 25-year-old female Chinese was suffering from facial sensory abnormalities and weakness of limbs since 1991. Blurred vision occurred in 1993 to the right eye and in 1994 to the left eye. Cerebrospinal fluid examination in 1996 disclosed mild lymphocytosis and increased protein concentration. Furthermore, elevated IgG was found in cerebrospinal fluid. Multiple sclerosis was diagnosed in 1996.
Patient was under five years treatment with corticosteroids since 1996 without obvious improvement. Therefore, in June 2001, she started bee venom therapy and oral Taiwanese propolis tincture (Bee's BioTech., Taiwan) and drone pupa (Bee's BioTech., Taiwan) daily.
Sensory abnormalities, blurred vision and tremor of limbs were greatly improved after seven months treatment of bee venom therapy with oral medication of propolis and Drone pupa.
Director, Graduate School of Nutrition,
China Medical College, Taichung City,
Taiwan, & Director of Scientific Program,
Taiwan Apitherapy Association,
Apitherapy has been well documented in Traditional Chinese Medicine for treating Systemic Immune Diseases, Allergic Diseases, Viral Diseases and Organic-Specific Inflammatory Diseases for more than one thousand years (Yu, S.C. 1999).
Through the rapid development of Information Technology (IT) and clinical immunology, medical scientist discovered that all living creatures have their own ways to protect their new generation. Human mother delivers her antibody to infant through placenta and human milk feeding. Bovine colostrums and milk also contains antibodies to protect the calf from bacterial and viral infections (Korhonen, H. 1995;.Chan,E.L. 1995). The yolk of Leghorn's egg contains Immunoglobulin-Y to protect the chick's embryo from viral infection. Bee's royal jelly and honey contains immunoglobulin to protect bee's larva form bacterial and viral infections. Hymenoptera (Apis mellifera) venom contains venom specific immunoglobins and cytokines provide effective immunothrapy for viral and bacterial infections.
Apitherapy in Taiwan is a new branch of medical science to combine the clinical trail experience in Traditional Chinese Medicine with the knowledge of clinical immunology and Biotechnology to apply in modern medicine.
This report presents a 25-year-old female Chinese with the diagnosis of Multiple Scerosis. She was suffering from facial sensory abnormalities and weakness of limbs since 1991. Blurred vision occurred in 1993 to the right eye and in 1994 to the left eye Cerebrospinal fluid examination in 1996 disclosed mild lymphocytosis and increased protein concentration. Furthermore, elevated IgG was found in cerebrospinal fluid. MRI of the brain demonstrated the presence of a multiplicity of lesions. Focal areas of demyelination with reactive gliosis are found scattered in the white matter of the brain and spinal cord. The clinical diagnosis of Multiple sclerosis was made in 1996. After 5 years of corticosteroid therapy without obvious improvement, she stared Apitherapy since June 2001.
Materials and Method
A) Hymenoptera Venom Immunotherapy (HVIT)
Honeybee (A.Mellifera) was used in the treatment.
A personal and family history of Hymenoptera venom, asthma, rhinitis, eczema, or food allergy, or adverse reactions to drugs should be established in al cases. Patient should be allowed to give their own accounts of all allergy history followed by structured prompts or questions to cover the essential points.
Skin Prick Test (SPT):
In negative Hymenoptera venom allergic patient, Skin Prick Test will be performed before course of formal HVIT treatment. After aseptic cleaning of the skin of the forearm, one honeybee sting (b.u.) was tested in the forearm skin. Local dermal reactions and systemic allergic reactions to the Hymenoptera sting will be observed after 20 minutes to determine the cutoff point for separating patients with clinical symptoms on exposure to relevant allergen rather than subclinical sensitization alone.
- Phase I: (Starting phase)
Patient received HVIT, starting with 1.b.u.,administrated subcuntanously every two days. The dose of HYIT increased to 12.b.u. in 8 weeks after no local dermal or systemic allergic reactions were found.
- Phase II: (Maintaining phase)
Patient received 12 b.u. every two days to maintain the therapeutic dose.
B) Taiwanese oral propolis tincture
( Bee's BioTech, Taiwan), 800mg, twice daily.
C) Taiwanese Drone pupa
(Bee's BioTech, Taiwan), 800mg,twice daily.
Adequate nutrition is essential for health and for treatment of diseases. While poor nutrition status induce immune dysfunction, macrophage microbicidal function with decreased phagocytosis and impaired respiratory burst activity (superoxide anion generation). The cause of this appears to be depletion of critical membrane phospholipids, resulting in altered prostaglandin levels, nitric oxide production, signal transduction, and cytokine (interleukin-1,interleukin-6) production.(Rombeau,J.L.,2000 ).
Strict nutritional support with adequate essential nutrients supply will be monitored during the whole course of Apitherapy.
The nutritional supplements recommended during the course of HVIT treatment:
- Hyperimmune Milk power (Stolle Corp., Ohio, USA), 1 package,twice a day
- Centrum (Lederle Corp., USA),1 tablet daily.
- Korean Taekuk Ginseng Power (Uper Corp., Korea) 500mg,twice a day
Sensory abnormalities, blurred vision and tremor of limbs were greatly improved after seven months of Apitherapy. Repeat MRI of the brain seven months later disclosed the number and size of previous lesions were greatly decreased. Patient had great neurological and physical improvement after seven months of apitherapy treatment. And she gained her normal daily physical activities again.
Multiple sclerosis(MS), a common neurologic disorder, which probably has an autoimmune basis. The HVIT venom specific immunoglobins may regulate the human immune system to improve the autoimmune disorders. The continuing Apitherapy with adequate nutritional support may prevent the relapse or secondary progressive diseases result from multiple sclerosis.
The history of apitherapy in China is more than 2000 years old. Because of the huge population in China, we have large numbers of clinical-trial records in apitherapy with all kinds of diseases for over 2000 years. Through the rapid development of the database files in information technology, we find that this clinical record gives us great advantages in the research of the apitherapy. At the present time, apitherapy is being used as a kind of immunotherapy in Taiwan. We have more than 200 outpatients daily treated with all kinds of diseases in our Apitherapy clinics. Furthermore, through the rapid development of the research of Biotechnology and Immunotherapy, we believe apitherapy will pay an important role in modern medicine in future. And we wish to share our Apitherapy experience with all the medical researchers in all other countries
- Adkinson, N.F. Jr., Eney, D.(1997) A controlled trail of immunotherapy for asthma in allergic children. New England Journal of Medicine, 336; 324-331.
- Ballow, M., Nelson, R.(1997) Immunopharmacology: Immunomodulation and immunotherapy. JAMA, 27: 2008(NLM Cit ID:98057371).
- Bomalaski, J.S.(1995) Phospholipase A2-activating protein induces the synthesis of IL-1 and TNF in human monocytes. J. Immunology 154(8), 4027-31.
- Boutin, Y., Jobin, M.(1994) Possible dual role of anti-idi0typic antibodies in combined passive and active immunotherapy in honeybee sting allergy. J. Allergy Clin Immunol.,93(6), 1039-46.
- Chang, Y.M., Malo, J.L.(1994). Etiological agents in occupational asthma. 7:346-371.
- Chang, Y.M., Malo, J.L.(1995). Occupational Asthma. New England Journal of Medicine. 333:107-112.
- Cherbuliez, Theodore(1997) Bee Venom Therapy and Safety. Bee Informed. 3(4), 10-11.
- Chung, K.F., Barnes, P.J.(1999) Cytokines in Asthma. Thorax, 54:825-57.
- Demoly, P. Bouquet, J.(1997) Anti-IgE therapy for asthma. Am. J. Respit. Crit. Care. Med., 155:1825-27.
- 10 Dos Reis, M.A.'Costa,R.S.(1998) Acute renal failure in experimental envenomation with Africanized bee venom. Renal Failure, 20(1), 39-51.
- Egner, W., Ewan, P.W.(1998) The frequency and clinical significance of specific IgE to both wasp and honey-bee venoms in the same patient. Clin.Exp. Allergy. 28(1), 26-34.
- Erikinson, N.E.(1994) Diagnosis of IgE mediated allergy in clinical practice. Allergol et Immunopathology, 22:139-151.
- Fierro, M.(1996) Prevalence of systemic adverse reaction to Hymenoptera Sting in a general population in Uruguay. 52-nd Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, New Orleans, LA, Marzo.
- Faux, J.A., Moffatt, M.F.(1997) Sensitivity to bee and wasp venoms: association with specific IgE responses to the bee and wasp venom and HLA DRB1 and DPB1. Clin. Exp. Allergy, 27(5), 578-83.
- Golden,D.K.(1997) Natural history of Hymenoptera venom allergy: ten year observations. J. Allergy Clinical Immunology, 100:760-6.
- Golden, D.K., Schwartz, J.(1986) Guidelines for venom immunotherapy. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 77, 727-728.
- Higuchi, M.(1992) Damage to mitochondrial respiration chain is related to phospholipase A2 activation caused by rumor necrosis factor. J. Immunotherapy 12(1), 41-49.
- Gore, M.,(1996) Immunotherapy in Cancer. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. New York, N.Y., USA.
- Holt,P.G., Macaubas, C.(1997) Development of long term tolerance versus sensitisation to different classes of environmental allergies during the perinatal period. Curr. Opin. Immunology, 9:762-787.
- Hommel, D., Hulin, (1998) Multiple African honeybee stings and acute renal failure. Nephron, 78(2), 235-6.
- Knox,B., Suphiogu, C.(1996) Environmental and molecular biology of pollen allergens. Trends Plant Sciences. !;156-164.
- Knulst, A.C., Bruijnzeel-Koomen, C.A.(1998) Wasp and bee venom allergy. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 142(16), 889-92.
- Lessof, M. H., Sobotka, A.K.(1978) Effects of passive antibody in bee venom anaphylaxis. Johns Hopkins Med. J. 142(1), 1-7.
- Martinez, F.D., Holt, P.G.(1999) Role of microbial burden in the etiology of allergy and asthma. Lancet, 354:12-15.
- Mori, A., Suko, M. (1996) IL-15 promotes cytokines production of human t helper cells. Journal of Immunology, 156:2400-2405.
- Mueller, U., Fricker, M. (1997) Increased specificity of diagnostic tests with recombinant major bee venom allergen phospholipase A2. Clin. Exo. Allergy. 27(8), 915-920.
- Persson,C.A., Greiff,L. (1998) Plasma-derived proteins in airway defence, disease and epithelial injury-repair. European Respir. Journal, 11:1-13.
- Ramanathan, M., Lam, H.S.(1990) Acute renal failure due to multiple bee stings-case reports. Med. J. Malaya. 45(4), 344-6.
- Rowland-Jones,(1999.) HIV infection: where have all the T -cells gone? Lancet 354:5.
- Ryan, E.T.(2000) Health advice and immunizations for travelers. New England Journal of Medicine. 342:1716(PMID:10841875)
- Saini, S.S., Peterson, J.W.(1999) Melittin activates endogenous phospholipase D during cytolysis of human monocytic leukemia cells. Toxicon 1999, 37(11), 1605-19.
- Winder, D. Salmons, B.(1998) Expression of antimicrobial peptides has an antitumour effect in human cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 242(3), 608-612.
- Weber, R.W.(1998) Pollen identification. Ann. Allergy, 80:141-145.
- Wei, X., S. Ghosh, M. Taylor, V. Johnson, E. Emini, P.Deutsch, Lifson, S.Bonhoeffer, M.Nowak, B.Hahn,et al.(1995.) Viral dynamics in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection. Nature 373:117.
- Weijer, C.(2000) The future of research into rotavirus vaccine. BMJ,321:525(PMID:10968800)
- Yee, C.J., Palma, M.S.(1997) Acquired immunity to Africanized honeybee venom in Brazilian beekeepers. J. Investig. Allergol Clin. Immunology. 7(6),583-587.
- Youlten, L. J.,Atkinson,B.A., Lee,T.H.(1995) The incidence and nature of adverse reactions to injection immunotherapy in bee and wasp venom allergy. Clin. Exp.Allergy, 25(2), 159-165.
- Mohri, H., Bonhoeffer, S., Monard,S., Perelson,A.S.and Ho.D.D. (1998.) Rapid turnover of T lymphocytes in SIV-infected rhesus macaques. Science 279:1223.
- Bonyhadi,M., L.Rabin, S.Salimi, D.Brown, J.Kosek,J.McCune,
and H.Kaneshima.(1993.) HIV induces thymus depletion in vivo. Nature 363:728.
- Roederer,M., S.C.De Rosa, N.Watanabe,and L.A.Herzenberg. (1997.) Dynamics of fine T-cell subsets during HIV disease and after thymic ablation by mediastinal irradiation.Semin. Lmmunol.9:389.
- Douek,D.C., R.D.McFarland, P.H.Keiser, E.A.Gage, J.M.Massey, B.F.Haynes, M.A.Polis, A.T.Haase, M.B. Feinberg, J.L.Sullivan,et al.(1998.) Changes in thymic function with age and during the treatment of HIV infection. Nature 396:690.
- McCune,J., R.Loftus, D.Schmidt, P.Carroll, D.Webster, L.Swor-Yim, I.Francis, B.Gross,and R.Grant.(1998.) High prevalence of thymic tissue in adults with human immunodeficiency virus-1 infection.J.Clin.Invest.101:2301.
- Poulin,J.F.,and R.P.Sekaly.(1999.) Function of the thymus in HIV-infected adults. J.Am.Med.Assoc.282:219.
- Rosenzweig,M., M.A.DeMaria, D.M.Harper, S.Friedrich, R.K.Jain,and R.P.Johnson.(1998.) Increased rates of CD4+ and CD8+ T Lymphocyte turnover in simian immunodeficiency virous-infected macaques. Proc.Natl.Acad.Sci.USA 95:6388.
- Jamieson,B.D., D.C.Douek, S.Killian, L.E.Hultin, D.D. Scripture-Adams, J.V.Giorgi, D.Marelli, R.A.Koup,and J.A.Zack.(1999). Generation of functional thymocytes in the human adult. Immunity 10:569.
- Patel,D.D., M.E.Gooding, R.E. parrott, K.M.Curtis, B.F. Haynes,and R.H.Buckley.(2000) .Thymic function after hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation for the treatment of severe combined immuno-deficiency.N.Engl.J.Med.342:1325.
- Grossman, Z. Paul ,W. (2000) .The impact of HIV on naïve T-cell homeostasis. Nat.Med. 6:976.
- Korhonen, H., Syvaeoja, E.L.(1995) Bacterial effect of Bovine Normal and Immune Serum, Colostrum and milk against Helicobacter Pylori. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 78,655-662.
- Chan,E.L.,Kummer,A.(1995). Survey of Immunoglobulin G Content and Antibodies Specificity in Cow's Milk from British Columbia. Food and Agricultural Immunology, 6,443-451.
- Yu, Y.C.(1999). Synopsis of Chinese Herbal Compendium. Peking, PRC: Scientific and Technical Documents Publishing House Press.
- Kwon, Y. B., Lee, J. D., Lee, H. J. et al.(2001).Bee venom injection into an acupuncture point reduces arthritis associated edema and nociceptive responses. Pain, 90, 271-280.
- Golden, D. K.(1997). Natural history of Hymenoptera venom allergy; ten- year observations. J. Allergy Clinical Immunology, 100,76-766.
- RombeaU,j.l.(2000). Clinical Nutrition: Parenteral Nutrition. New York, USA: W. B. Saunders Co.
- Chernokhvostova,M.M.,Lyubinskaya,Z.P.(1990). Protective Milk Antibodies Induced in Guine Pigs by Parenteral Shigella Ribosomal Vaccine. International Archive Allergy Applied Immunology, 92,265-267.
- Giovannoni,G.et al(1999) Multiple sclerosis and its treatment. R.Coll.Physicians London,33.315